Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Our Journey to Needing Help With Our Fertility

My husband and I have been together since 2000. We knew almost instantly that we were going to be together forever! We met online. Talked every single day, about every topic we could think of and we met in person a few months after first talking to each other. We decided very early on that we wanted to have at least 4 children, and we knew once we got married (2002) that we would not use anything to prevent a pregnancy. Years and years went by with out even a slight chance of being pregnant. Every month I got my cycle on schedule. It wasn't until I was 22-23, that we really were wondering why we hadn't gotten pregnant yet. At that point, I made an appointment with a gynecologist and started seeing him on a regular basis. This doctor wanted to keep putting me on birth control because I had what the he called "functional cysts." I was also sent for ultrasounds to check the status of these cysts. After 9 months of seeing this doctor and no real progress being made, I knew it was time to seek out another gynecologist for another opinion. A little while later I Found another gynecologist and the first thing he wanted to do was the same thing, put me on birth control. I told him I did not want to do that because of my past experience. He then said I could go in for a laparoscopy, where he would look inside to see if i had any blockages or anything obvious as to why we weren't getting pregnant. I opted for this procedure. He did find that I had a moderate case of endometriosis and he had to disconnect my uterus from my colon.

After healing from the procedure, and returning back to the office for more advice on what to do, the doctor recommended us doing a test to see how my body reacts to sperm. We had to have our "fun time" an hour before the appointment and then they went in and took a sample of what was in my uterus. We were told that everything was fine. My husband had normal sperm and good motility and they didn't understand why we weren't pregnant. At this point we were very frustrated and didn't know what to do next. We had no idea fertility clinics even existed. We ended up moving to another state, we had no medical insurance, so we did not pursue this for another few years while we got ourselves together. We ended up moving back to our home state and my husband jumped from one job to another to another and finally ended up after 4 years of settling at a great job with fantastic benefits. This company was exactly what he had been looking for. They are very good about letting go do your medical needs and still finish out your shift when you get done. My husband has never had to miss one fertility appointment, and I am so thankful for that! I love having him with me and sometimes its nice to have a second set of ears when being told the information. Plus we are in this together. There is no reason I should have to do all of this by myself.

Once my husband was at this new company for 90 days they gave him his medical benefits. We looked through the booklet to see what they offered and we saw fertility testing and If we wanted to do and IUI, the meds and the procedures were all covered. We thought we hit the lottery!! We scheduled our first appointment with them and discussed our past with fertility and everything and let them know what we wanted to do and off we went. I ordered the medications they wanted me on and I thought we would be doing this in no time at all. At the same time, my husband went for his testing to make sure he was ok and not thinking at all that there was a problem, we started planning for our future. Well....then we got the news about my husband and off we went to figure out his stuff and we had to put the IUI on hold.

Knowing what we know now, in a way I wish we were able to start earlier with finding out what was going on. I know everyone says that everything happens for a reason, and I'm really starting to believe that. Now that I look back, I know I was not ready to take care of a child before and I know with out a doubt, now I am! I look forward to the next part of this journey. We have so much to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment