Friday, January 4, 2013

The actual D and C procedure

Today was the actual procedure. It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was brought into the bathroom, where I changed into all my surgery gear, and then it was off to the room where the procedure would take place. They gave me a warm blanket to put over me while I waited, which I thought was extremely amazing. It just makes you feel like you aren't totally exposed to the whole world. The nurse came in, put in my IV and went over after care things. She then brought in my husband and we just hung out for about 30 minuets, until the doctor came in for a quick ultrasound to check my status. It was clear on the ultrasound there was still the empty sack left in there and that is why I was bleeding so bad for so long. I was told any tissue found they would send to the pathology to have it tested and analyzed. Once the ultrasound was over we waited for about 10 more minuets for the anesthesiologist and he just asked me a few questions and then it was game time. I remember just a little bit from when I first received the drugs. The flood lights on the wall were coming down and the wall was moving towards me. That is defiantly one odd memory. I mean since when do lights move for no reason and walls attack you?! After that, I remember the nurse saying it was all over and as I woke up I was in excruciating pain. She asked me how my pain was, I couldn't talk at this point, so I held up 8 fingers, for a pain level of 8 out of 10. My husband let her know and she gave me more pain meds, she then left the room and would be back to check on me in 10 minuets. I do also remember crying a lot because of the pain and because it hit me again that our "baby" was gone. I knew before that it was gone, but for some reason right out of anesthesia it smacked me in the face. I am slowly coming to terms with everything, of course it takes time, and I know no one expects me to be OK with this right away. The nurse ended up giving me more pain meds 2 more times. Having my husband there with me, really put me at ease and comforted me through the whole after care. He is absolutely amazing!

Upon returning home I laid down and rested for about 3 hours, ate some dinner and now I'm sitting here typing away. I feel a little weak and slightly light headed, but I know from here on I am on the path to recovery. I'm barely bleeding, which is such a change from the last week, and it feels good! The clinic did call me to see how I was doing and to give me my HCG numbers from yesterday, I'm down to 205.7. I will go back next week for another blood test, they need to follow me down to under 2.5 I think she said. On the 17th will be my post op appointment with more blood work.

For now I just hang out and try to get better, clear my mind, and come to terms with everything that has happened. I'm hoping and praying that everything goes much better from here on out. The doctor that did my procedure today said to us that he will get us to our dream he promises. Now, I know he can't really promise that, but how amazing it is to have a doctor who's invested in this just as much as we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment